Scotland: From Prehistory to the Present
- Usually Ships in 2 to 4 Weeks
Media: BOOK - paperback, 304 pages
Author: F. Watson
Other: photos, maps, chronology, genealogies, bibliog
Publisher: The History Press
"Scotland: From Prehistory to the Present" is a lively new history from one of Scotland's brightest young historians. This revised edition starts with the early settlers after the last Ice Age, and the myth and ritual that surrounds that prehistoric period, the author charts the evolution of the Scottish people - as Scots, Picts and Angles - and their interaction with the world abroad, from invasions by the Romans and Vikings, the medieval wars of independence with England, and continues on right through to Devolution.
Includes chapters period by period, a chronology showing the major events throughout Scotland's history, a list of the Monarchs and their genealogies, together with a map showing the major towns and regions of Scotland.
Preface: The Trouble with 'Scotland'
1. Land, Water, Sky
2. Settlers and Invaders: 8000-c2500 BC
3. Land and Community: c2500 BC-AD 80
4. Amalgamation: AD 80-800
5. Consolidation and Assimilation: 800-1286
6. Scotland United?: 1286-1357
7. Scotland Revealed: 1357-1542
8. Reformation to Revolution: 1542-1702
9. Scotland in Britain: 1702-1850
10. Scotland Renewed: 1850-2002
List of Monarchs
Towns and Regions of Scotland