Queensland Police Gazette Compendium 1916-1920
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (3725 pages)
Year: (1916-1920) 2008
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Police Gazettes are an extremely useful resource for family, local and social historians. Compiled to be distributed amongst the police force only, these Gazettes therefore contain details and information that can not be found anywhere else.
The Police Gazettes state that they 'containing information received in cases of felony and of misdemeanour, and against receivers of stolen property, reputed thieves, and offenders escaped from custody, with the time, place, and circumstances of the offences, and description of offenders or those suspected, giving the appearance, dress, and other marks of identity, with every particular which may lead to their apprehension; and a description, as accurate as possible, of property that has been stolen, horses, &c.'
The content of the issues varies a little over time, but most include the following:
- convictions without custodial sentence
- escapees and absconders from custody
- lost or stolen property and stocknames of victims
- deserting wives, families, etc
- deserting from military service
- deserting from merchant vessels
- missing friends
- persons suspected or wanted for a crime and warrants issued
- police resignations, dismissals and discharges
- police killed in action or dying in the service
- police promotion examination results and appointments
- prisoners tried at supreme and circuit courts
- prisoners discharged from gaols
- prisoners released under licence
- prohibited immigrants
Now searchable, these fascinating Gazettes on CD-ROM open up a world of interesting and comprehensive information about individual people and their lives in Queensland's past. This Compendium is a collection of the contents of five years on a single CD and covers all issues between 1916 and 1920, each are also available separately.
This CD contains high quality scanned images of each issue of the Police Gazettes for the years 1916 through to 1920, and each has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text