Melbourne Directory 1869 (Sands and McDougall)
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (890 pages)
Author: Sands & McDougall
Year: (1869) 2008
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Directories are one of the most effective ways of tracing members of a family, especially tradesmen. Many small businesses needed to ensure the public was aware of their activity and one of the better ways to do this in an age before media dominated was via a directory. The value of directories as a research tool is enhanced when no census material is available.
In this directory you can expect to find people named with their addresses under:
- Street directory (Melbourne, Ascot Vale, Boroondara, Brighton, Brunswick, Carlton, Caulfield, East Collingwood, East Melbourne, Emerald Hill, Easternwick, Essendon, Elwood, Fitzroy, Flemington, Footscray, Hawthorn, Heidelberg, Hotham, Kensington, Kew, Moonee Ponds, Northcote, Oakleigh, Pentridge, Prahran, Preston,
Richmond, Sandridge, St Kilda, Studley Park, South Yarra, Toorak, West Melbourne,
- Alphabetical directory (state-wide)
- Trade and professional directory
Other sections including names but usually not addresses:
- Commerce management: banking, insurance companies, friendly societies, gold mining companies, railways, shipping
- Societies, lodges and institutions: patrons, presidents, secretaries,
- Government: MPs, heads of departments, receivers of revenue, paymasters, commissioners of crown lands, harbour masters and pilots, inspectors of distilleries, immigration agents, military officers
- Courts: judicial officers, sheriffs, bailiffs, commissioners for taking affidavits, coroners
- Municipalities: councillors, town clerks
Users should always refer to the display advertisements as they often provide names and addresses.
A vast resource of information for any historian with an interest in New Zealand and its people. Now available for the first time on fully searchable CD-ROM, viewing this information has never been easier.
High quality scanned images of the whole of the original book. This CD has been bookmarked for easy navigation, and pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text