Grave Tales: Brisbane Vol. 1
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: BOOK - paperback, 298 pages
Author: H. Goltz & C. Adams
Other: b&w photos, maps
Publisher: Atlas Productions
Grave Tales: Brisbane Vol. 1 visits five Brisbane cemeteries and tells of everyday people who- willingly or unwillingly - were participants in events that made local and national headlines. They have lived in the same suburbs, streets and even the same houses as exist now, or finished their days in Brisbane.
These stories hint at our history - tales of unsolved murders, love lost, mystery, tragedy, early settlement, health epidemics, scandal and sacrifice.
Helen Goltz and Chris Adams not only visit cemeteries, they then go and discover the stories behind those buried there, giving the person more life, along with details of their journeys that lead to these final resting places.
Contents by Cemetery:
- Harry Jarman, The sinking of the S.S. Pearl
- Richard Ramo, All my hope lies buried here
- Peter Jackson, 'This was a man'
- Emma Miller, Working class hero
- Hector Vasyli, The patriotic kid
- Walter Thomas Porriott, Jack the Ripper suspect
South Brisbane Cemetery
- Grace Yorston, The sinking of the S.S. Pearl
- Gregory Brown, Disaster on the Range
- William Ware, The hangman
- Ellen Thomson, Queensland's only hanged woman
- Violet Gunning, Ruth Hills, Florence Jackson and Joseph Hammond, Crash of the Douglas C47
- John Andrew Scott, Terror on the Terrace
- George Witton, A scapegoat of the empire?
- Billy Sing, Gallipoli sniper
- Augustus Knight, Disaster on the Range
- Joseph Marconi, The Goanna Oil man
- Grace, Meta and Rosina Wood, Death at Gracie's store
God's Acre Cemetery
- The Grenier family