show / hide sidebar
Family Historian 6
Publisher: Calico Pie
Media: SOFTWARE - 1 CD
Publisher: Calico Pie
Family Historian 6 is the latest version of the powerful, award-winning genealogy program with comprehensive features designed to meet the needs of the beginner and expert alike.
Version 6 is a huge update for Family Historian, both in terms of features and usability, as they have teamed up with MyHeritage to add automatic internet data matching. This means that as you use the program, Family Historian automatically finds matching records on MyHeritage databases - from more than 6 billion records.
They've also added a Web Search workspace window, and a new web clipping capability, to make it easy to transfer all the information you find into your project, with full source citations. We've added best-of-breed mapping in another new workspace window, the Map Window, so that users can easily see events marked on maps, and use the Time Slider to observe changes over time.
The Media Window has been completely redesigned and now includes a new Media Link tool, to make linking people to faces in pictures much quicker and easier than before, and there is a new Automatic Source Citation pane, to help with adding source citations. And there's much more.
The program has been given a complete refresh, with a great new look and numerous usability improvements. There is a long list of important enhancements and great new features, and the list below give you a summary of some of them.
A Summary of New and Improved Features in Version 6
- Automatic Internet Data Matching, with on-screen 'hints' showing matches found
- New Web Clipping Capability for easy copying of facts and pictures from websites, using drag- and-drop
- New Web Search window and improved Internet Search tool
- New Map window, with Time Slider to view changes over time
- Redesigned and enhanced Media window, with new Media Link Tool to make easy to link people to faces in pictures
- New Automatic Source Citation Pane - to automatically add source citations to new and modified data
- Support for Extended Family 'Timeline' Facts - see all the key events in each person's life at a glance
- Now you can record Witnesses (non-principal participants in events, like bridesmaids at a wedding)
- Easier, faster data entry in an enhanced Property Box
- Users can now attach pictures to places (as well as notes, and longitude and latitude)
- The program now uses the Unicode standard to support language characters and accents from round the world
- A new configurable popup accent tool, makes entering accent characters easy
- New filtering options for record lists, make it much quicker and faster to find the record you want
- New powerful Find tool, lists all matches and can display each matching field in the Property Box
- New powerful Find and Replace tool
- Improved options for the graphical display of relationship information, with the How Related tool
- More 'modeless' windows (windows that you don't have to close before you can do other tasks)
- Numerous improvements to make the program even easier and more enjoyable to use
- And much more...
For full details and pictures of new features in version 6, please see click here.
Take a tour of the program, click here
If you would like to try it out, try their free 30 day trial version, click here to download
Read what others say about the program, click here for reviews
Keep an eye on their YouTube channel for instructional videos, click here for that
Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1, Win 10
CD-ROM, 40MB of hard disk space
It does not run under the Apple Mac, unless you run it under a Windows emulator
- Family Historian 6 Crossgrade
- Family Historian 6 Upgrade from Version 5
- Getting the Most from Family Historian 6 (Printed Manual)
- Getting Started With Family Historian - printed guide
- Getting Started With Family Historian - ebook
brillant and easy to use
Posted by Unknown on 17th Dec 2018
Love this product,very easy to use,i have had other family history programmes before,by far this is the best
Flexible and easy to use
Posted by Les DAVIES on 4th Aug 2018
'Family Historian 6' loaded quickly from the provided CD and contained a sample family tree which was easy to locate. Using the brief guide provided and this 'Sample Project', it proved to be quite easy to navigate the key program functions and experiment with different features. Data entry, plotting different family tree views, inserting reference sources, and adding photos and documents have been made very simple with this user-friendly software.
Best Genealogy software I have found!
Posted by Gary B on 14th Jun 2018
I have been hooked on Family Historian software since version 4. It has many more features that the others are still trying to catch-up too. I love that it interfaces directly with my tree on Findmypast.com. But it is the little features that make it stand out.
There is now a Witness function for all facts. No more trying to work out where to put these important peoplel and it links to people already in your tree.
Also the User group Web page is absolutley great. Lots of add-ons and, most importantly help.
I highly recommend this easy to use software.