Dublin Parish Registers: Dublin (St Michan) 1634-1700
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD
Year: (1909) 2011
Publisher: Archive CD Books Ireland
Printed for the Parish Register Society of Dublin by Alexander Thom & Co., and first published in 1909 are volumes II, III and VII of the Parish Register Society of Dublin, the Registers of St Michan, Dublin, 1634-1700. Republished here on fully-searchable CD-ROM the registers for St Michan are among the oldest surviving parish records in Ireland and unusually for city parishes from this period the register entries are of a most complete nature.
In line with the formation of a number of Parish Register Societies in England, it was deemed necessary by the founding members of the Parish Register Society of Dublin to make publicly available the older and more important surviving parish registers of the Established Church of Ireland, beginning with the oldest in the country, those of Dublin City, for the valuable work undertaken by genealogists and local and family historians.
There would appear to have been no obligation to keep parish registers in Ireland until the Canon of 1634, although there had been an abortive attempt to introduce a form of public registration as early as 1617. However, this was discontinued in 1620 in a row over fees, the year after the commencement of the St John's registers. The Canon of 1634 required every parish and chapel in Ireland to keep a book wherein must be written the day and year of every Christening, marriage and burial. The Canon does no appear to have been strictly enforced as no registers in Ireland begin immediately after the date of instruction. Only two registers in Ireland pre-date the Canon, that of St John's and St Brigid, Dublin and in only five other instances are registers known to pre-date 1642, amongst these are the registers for St Michan, which date from 1634.
This parish was from a very early period until the 17th century the only parish church standing on the north bank of the River Liffey. Tradition states that the Church was built in 1095 and encompassed the area bounded by Little Cabra, Dublin Bay, the Phoenix Park and the River Liffey. As the number of inhabitants within these bounds grew new parishes had to be divided out of the old St Michan's, resulting in the formation in the mid-17th century of Saints Paul, John and lastly Thomas. The registers for St Michan are unlike any those of the other old city parishes in as much as full-particulars are given for the deceased in the burial registers and in some instances the marriage entries, especially during the Commonwealth period, which run to as many as eight lines
High quality scanned images of the whole of the volume of parish registers. This CD has been bookmarked for easy navigation, and pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text