This book is intended to be of help to those interested in Scottish genealogical research. It is the last volume of a series of pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions in all accessible sites in the parishes of the old Stewarty of Kirkcudbright.
The monumental inscriptions of the Stewarty are less damaged than in many parts of Scotland. The stone (from a local quarry) was of excellent quality, and there seems to have been less deliberate destruction.
From 1975 to 1996 the Stewarty District did not correspond with the boundaries of the old Stewarty/Shire. This volume deals with the five parishes at the eastern boundary which were then administered from Dumfries rather than Kirkcudbright. The burgh of Maxwelltown (called Bridgend until about 1810), in Troqueer parish until 1834, was joined to Dumfries Burgh in 1926. The parishes covered in the volume are: Kirkbean, Kirkpatrick Irongray, Newabbey, Terregles, Lincluden College, and Troqueer.
Contents:KirkbeanKirkpatrick IrongrayNewabbeyTerreglesLincluden CollegeTroqueer