RootsMagic is the award-winning genealogy software which makes researching, organizing, and sharing your family history easy! Whether you're a beginner or an experienced professional, RootsMagic is the perfect tool for you!
RootsMagic is one of the easiest-to-use family tree software available, yet is also one of the most powerful. See why professional genealogists and beginners alike say RootsMagic is one of the best genealogy software in the world. It allows you to make CDs to share with your family, run the software and data directly from a flash drive, includes integrated WebSearch, and has many new features in RootsMagic 5. All up it is a easy-to-use, well-supported, great-functionality program.
RootsMagic version 4 was rewritten from scratch and was made to be easier and more powerful than ever and included the following features:
- Edit Screen - add an unlimited
number of facts for every person (i.e. birth, death, marriage, occupation,
religion, description, etc. or create your own)
- Sources - Simply add the source once, then when you add a fact to a
person and want to document where that information came from, you simply point
to the source in the source list. And best of all, the RootsMagic SourceWizard
will help you write properly formatted sources regardless of your
- Printing Reports - RootsMagic offers a large selection of printouts,
all available from a single report dialoge. Pedigree charts, family group
sheets, wall charts, 7 styles of narrative reports (where RootsMagic writes the
sentences for you), numerous lists, mailing labels, calendars, relationship
charts, individual summaries, and photo trees. And if that isn't enough,
RootsMagic even provides a custom report generator, so you can create your own
- Publish Your Family History - The RootsMagic Publisher lets you combine multiple reports,
charts, photos and narrative reports into a single document, and will
automatically create a table of contents and full index for the book. You
can even add cover and title pages, copyright page, dedication, and more. Send
your book directly to your printer, or save it to a PDF file or export to your
word processor, to burn on a CD or email to family members.
- Create Spectacular Wall Charts - you can create beautiful
full colour ancestor, descendant, and hourglass wall charts. You have
full control over the positioning, size, colours, fonts, and other aspects of
every object in the chart.
- Make Shareable CDs - you've worked hard to collect and organize your
family history, now you'd like to share it. Your Shareable CD will feature a custom home page with
your own title, photo, description, and contact information, and will include a
read-only version of RootsMagic to show off your data and multimedia items.
- Map Your Family - Simply select a family member from the list and RootsMagic will
display the map (anywhere in the world), with pins where that person's events
(birth, marriage, death, burial, etc) occurred.
- Merging Duplicate Records - RootsMagic automatically
looks for duplicate individuals and displays them in a list with the most likely
matches listed first. Simply click a button to merge the duplicate pair,
or mark them as "not a match" so that they won't show up in any
future merge sessions.
- Website Generator - RootsMagic can generate professional looking web
sites automatically from your data, in narrative format, pedigree chart format,
family group sheet format, or a combination pedigree / family group sheet
- Compatibility - Import directly from Family Tree Maker (version 16
and earlier), PAF (versions 2.x and later), Family Origins (versions 4 and
later), Legacy (versions 2 and later). Full GEDCOM 5.5 support so you can
exchange data with other programs.
- Backup - Integrated backup and restore help safeguard your data, and
now RootsMagic lets you backup directly to CD.
- RootsMagic-To-Go - This feature lets you run RootsMagic
(program AND data) directly off your flash drive. Thatís right ... not only can
you have your data on a flash drive, but you can run the full RootsMagic
program and your data directly from the flash drive.
Version 5 has built on that foundation, with a bunch of improvements and new features in this new version.
NEW FEATURES IN ROOTSMAGIC 5:
- Create unlimited research logs to document your work and aid your research
- Quickly search for any text in any research log
- Shows a full timeline of the current person's events and those of their parents, siblings, spouses, and children
- Shows a graphical timeline of the person's events
- Automatically checks every county you enter (US, Canada, UK, Australia) to verify that it actually existed at the time of the event
- Report gives you a list of all events in counties which didn't exist at the time
- Lets you access maps and county histories for the US, Canada, UK, and Australia
- Test the integrity of the database file
- Re-index the database
- Compress deleted records from the database
"On This Day" List
- Includes all family events on a date, as well as famous births and deaths and historical events for the day
Enhanced People View
- Filter to show any group of people
- Allows easy tagging of images with the people, families, events, places, or sources
- Enter comments on any media tag
Enhanced To-Do list
- See type, status, priority and description in a single list
- Sort by type, status, priority, or task description
- Filter by type, status, or priority
Enhanced Edit Screen
- Hover tips for notes and sources for every fact
- Easily view all to-do items for a person and their families
- Easily view all media items for a person, their events, and families
Enhanced Source Entry
- New tabbed source edit screen streamlines source entry
- Enhanced Descendant List Report
- Direct descendant list shows the direct line from an ancestor to a descendant
- Henry, D'Aboville, and outline numbering
- Wordwrap option conserves space
Enhanced Place List Report
- Print all events which occurred within a certain distance of any place
- Include markers for events of family members of the selected person
- Enhanced Place List
- Displays the primary image for the highlighted place
- Displays the place details for the highlighted place
- Fonts and Screens
- Select the font / size for the lists on the edit person, Explorer, and select person screens
and Much, much more!
If you're new to the program, why not try it out first, as publishers do offer a RootsMagic Essentials as a FREE TRIAL VERSION which you can download from their website.
To read more about RootsMagic, visit the publisher's website
To download the FREE trial version of RootsMagic click here
For Support for those that have RootsMagic click here
To go to the RootsMagic blog click here
To go to the RootsMagic Forums click