What is Reunion? Reunion is a genealogy software program -- a 'family tree
program' for the Macintosh. Reunion helps you to document, store, and display
information about your family -- your ancestors, descendants, cousins, etc. It
records names, dates, places, facts, plenty of notes, sources of information,
pictures, sounds, and videos. It shows family relationships in an elegant,
graphic form -- people and families are linked in an easy-to-understand fashion.
Reunion makes it easy to publish your family tree information -- even if you
want to share it on the Web. You can automatically create common genealogy
reports, charts, and forms, as well as birthday calendars, mailing lists,
questionnaires, indexes, and other lists. Reunion even calculates relationships,
ages, life expectancies, and statistics.
Reunion also creates large, high-resolution, graphic charts allowing complete
on-screen editing of boxes, lines, fonts, and colours. Wall charts are one of
The long awaited new version of Reunion for Macintosh has finally been released. Complete with an enormously long list of enhancements, this is still the top genealogy program for Mac users!
New features in Reunion Version 9 ~
- Reunion 9 is a Universal Binary application with full, native support for
Intel and PPC Macintosh computers.
- Pod cards for your iPod - a new way to carry data with you.
- Treetops - shows a quick list of the earliest ancestors for any person.
- Last Names list - show all unique last names (surnames) in your family file.
- Spell checking. As you enter data, Reunion can automatically check your
spelling as you type. When you mistype or misspell a word, it's underlined in
red so you can quickly spot errors and correct them.
- CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) web styles offer elegant design, flexibility,
and precise control of reports destined for the web.
- Drag and drop to add people from the Index to the family card. If you're
about to add a child, parent, or spouse to somebody, and you know that the
person is already entered in the family file somewhere, just open the index and
drag the person from the index over to the correct spot on the family card.
- Drag and drop to add sources from the Source List to events, facts, notes,
and names. Keep the Source List open as you're adding data and when you need to
cite a source, just drag and drop it into the field.
- Unicode support allows for multilingual text using different languages.
- Ability to find citation detail. For example, you can find everybody linked
to page 106 of a particular book.
- Import and export of multimedia links in GEDCOM files.
- Ability to mark people whose information cites any particular source.
- Reminders - an enhanced startup option to let you know, in advance, of
upcoming birthdays, anniversaries, etc.
- New search box for searching source records.
- Mighty mouse is supported (with horizontal and vertical scrolling).
- Speed Names limit increased to 2000.
- Source List window can be resized vertically and horizontally, letting you
see more of each source.
- Source List shows more characters per source, making it easier to identify
and distinguish sources.
- Source citations list in the Edit Person window is resizable. You can see
more sources, at a glance.
- New Field Usage window, for showing which fields are used and how frequently
- New Folder Preferences for specifying default locations for particular types
of files as you create, save, open, import, and export files.
- Words in note fields can be Control-clicked to show a contextual popup menu
of features (like looking up the word in the dictionary, Google, or Spotlight;
or creating a clickable link of a web address).
- Ages enhancements - added a column for places and support for perspective
events appearing in the list.
- Bookmarks menu enhancements - menu items include birth-death dates, includes
color to indicate people with children, includes icon to indicate sex.
- Quickbar enhancements - icons indicate sex, tool tips show more information
about a person or family in the quickbar, Control-click to show menu of spouses
and children for a person/family, children with children are indicated by color.
- Overview window enhancements - icons appear in the popup menus to indicate
the sex of a person's children, tool tips show more information about a person,
control clicking a person shows spouses and children.
- Statistics enhancements - added unique last names, percentages, and a
button to list people matching a highlighted
- Startup preferences include the ability to go to the last card you were
- Change Case window includes the option to affect first and middle names.
- When adding events to a person, you can make the selected event a default
event (for all new people)
- You can drag and drop people into the Find Relationship window, which can
stay open all the time.
- OS X Click-thru is disabled in most situations (to avoid accidentally
clicking buttons in Reunion when you're using other applications).
- Logs - new
- Edit Family/Children window - you can include columns for birth and death
place in the list, making it easier to do batch entry of children.
- Merge People window is modeless Ř handy for comparing records listed in the
Merge People window.
- Support for International Standard ISO 8601 date format: yyyy-mm-dd.
- Reports can be saved in .rtfd format (rtf with images).
- GEDCOM import/export support for the Unique Identifier Number (UID).
- GEDCOM import/export support for Unicode and UTF-8 character sets.
- GEDCOM Import option to not strip out extra commas from place names.
- LDS event statuses can be included in lists and can be searched.
- Add Source popup menu shows more sources and more characters per source,
making it easier to identify and distinguish sources.
- Moving fields: Events can be moved into other events.
- When you open a family file, the previous ten family cards you viewed are
remembered from your previous session.
- Relative lists can be limited to marked people only.
- Reunion keeps track of and tells you the last time relationships were
- HTML, RTF, MS Word documents may be imported into note fields (however,
formatting is stripped).
- Tags in web output. - to make the contents of the footer, creation date, and
intro fields more interesting and dynamic. You can even include Google search
- Person sheets and family group sheets can be sorted using any custom sort
Index and List enhancements... - Data (names, dates, places, etc.) can be edited directly in lists. If you
notice a spelling error or inconsistency while perusing the Index or any other
list, just make the correction directly in the list. No need to dig up the
- Lists (such as the Index, Source List, Found List, etc.) can stay open
while you work in your family file.
- A search box is used to find people and filter the Index and Found lists.
- Drag columns to change the order of columns in a list.
- Click column titles to sort by column.
- Manual sorting option, using any combination of 3 fields or attributes.
- Name and save sorts.
- Entries in lists are color-coded by sex.
Family card enhancements...
- Family card size is limited only by the size of your screen.
- Flags can be checked/unchecked directly on the family card.
- Note fields in the family card view are scrollable.
- Find people using a search box on the family card.
- Option to display parents and children in a list, with resizeable,
draggable, and optional fields.
- Brushed metal family card.
- Tool tips show information about people buttons, including birth/death
date and place, and ID#.
- Resizeable section for child buttons/list.
- Option to colorize buttons by sex.
- Control-click (or right-click) people on the family card (parents, husb/wife,
children) for a contextual popup menu showing siblings, spouses, children,
- New "view" options - smart event and fact lists, other children,
birth-death, and date feasibility.
- Sibling popup menus have been enhanced to show: direct lines,
half-siblings, icons to indicate sex, and whether or not a sibling has
- 3D drop shadows on child, husband/wife, and parent buttons on family card.
- Control-click (or right-click) children (in a list, or as buttons) to
change child status.
- Child status color is now applied to shadows, making it more conspicuous.
- New preferences to set the color of children with children, children
without children, parents with parents, and parents without parents.
- The vertical dividing line between field titles and data can be
repositioned by dragging.
- Thumbnail view of multimedia items, ala iPhoto.
- Multimedia files can be linked to source records.
- Support for more file formats: PDF, MS Word documents, RTF, Text
- Support for more audio file formats: AAC, AU
- Support for BMP images.
- Support for video formats: MOV, MP4, and AVI.
- Multimedia files can be grouped into albums.
- Comments from iPhoto are imported into Reunion.
- Rotate items in 90 degree increments.
- New multimedia sorting options.
- Option to designate items as "sensitive."
- Option to treat an image file as if it were a document.
- Drag and drop pictures from a multimedia window to another person on
another family card.
- Create slideshows for people, families, marked people, or all people.
- Slideshows can be saved, previewed, etc.
- Choose transitions, music, time for each slide, image size, caption
Toolbar on the family card...
- Customizable toolbar.
- Option to show as small or large icons.
- Option to show as "text only," "icons only" or "icons and text."
- New, additional toolbar icons.
OS X native...
- Cocoa-based - Reunion 9 is only available for Mac OS X.
It has been completely rewritten for Mac OS X using Cocoa, Apple's
object-oriented application environment designed specifically for developing
Mac OS X-only native applications with a state-of-the-art Aqua user interface.
- More resizeable windows and live window resizing.
- OS X standard file locations.
- Use of more attractive windows, "sheets" and icons.
- Tool tips show information about buttons.
- Better support for 3rd-party utilities.
- Option to use Apple's Color Picker to choose 24-bit colors.
- Standard Mac OS X text navigation in text fields.
- Soft shadows can be applied to boxes, bars, captions, and pictures.
- Find Anything In Boxes - new ways to search for boxes and select found
- Ability to remove frames of pictures inside boxes.
- Ability to turn on/off page break lines and grid lines.
- Ability to compact charts and optimize for printing, by resampling hi-res
- Many additions to the popup menu that appears when you Control-click (or
right-click) a chart box (such as: Align Picture in Box, Size Picture in Box,
Frame Picture in Box, Save Default Box Attributes)
- Support for transparency in images. .
- When charts or chart objects are copied to the clipboard, PDF transparency
- Graphic charts exported as PNG or PDF have transparency.
- Ability to add shadows to shapes.
- New menu item to mark people in all selected boxes on a chart.
- Max button in the Orientation window - lets you maximize the chart window
size while making changes to the orientation.
- New Tags feature for including variables in text objects and frame titles.
- Addition of border depth popup menu for timeline bars.
- In Colors window (for chart boxes and timeline bars), you can drag/drop
generations to change order.
- In Colors window (for chart boxes and timeline bars), ability to exclude
text from changes.
- New shortcut to redraw a chart using the previous settings in the
Orientation window; Option-Command-R.
- Text objects appear on-screen at all zoom settings.
- Deleting frames is easier: click to select the frame and press the Delete
- Chart dimensions are shown in metrics when appropriate.
- Search box in the tool bar, for easy searching.
- Shift-Command-click shortcut opens linked page in a new window behind the
- Command-click shortcut opens linked page in a new window
- Holding down the mouse on the
buttons shows you a list of the recent manual pages you've visited.
Register Report enhancements...
Spouses in bold.
- Option to include last name for children.
- Option to include birth and death dates for children.
- Option to have parenthetical ancestry in italic text.
- More advanced warnings and error checking when linking people. For example:
when linking cousins as spouses, a message will draw your attention to that
- Date Feasibility testing added to Find Anything window, family card view, and
- Numerous new shortcuts.
Want to check out Reunion 9 before buying,
click here to download a
If you already have a Reunion 8 or earlier and wish to upgrade,
Leister Productions (the publishers of Reunion) are the only ones now selling
the upgrades. Click
here to go to their website.