Directories are an invaluable resource for local, family and social historians as well as for researchers in other fields of Australian history. While they do not give you birth, death and marriage details - core records for genealogists and family historians - they can certainly provide you with information on the region where your ancestors lived, as well as information on their occupation and much more.
This large Wise’s directory is comprehensive in its coverage. It contains the following directories:
- Brisbane post office directory, with information on residents alphabetically by street
- Country towns (including many which are now suburbs of Brisbane): in general, it gives the location, other significant details about the town and a listing of residents
- Overall Alphabetical directory
- Trades (from Academies to Woollen Merchants)
- Medical – includes hospitals and medical / dental boards (doctors, dentists etc appear under the Trades Section)
- Educational – list includes teachers at Private schools as well as teachers of dressmaking, music, painting, dancing, languages, singing, physical culture and elocution
- Ecclesiastical – Church of England, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Congregational, Baptist, Queensland Methodist, Seventh Day Adventists, Salvation Army, United German & Scandinavian Lutheran, Evangelical Lutheran Church of Australia, Catholic Apostolic, Church of Christ, United Welsh Church, United Danish Evangelical Lutheran, Christian, Brisbane City Mission, Bavarian Lutheran, Brisbane Society of the New Church, Christadelphian, Joyful News Mission, Peoples Evangelical Mission
- Pastoral and Agricultural: one listing according to the type of enterprise (for example, apiarists, arrowroot manufacturers, cotton growers, fruit growers, rubber planters, tobacco growers and vignerons) and another an alphabetical listing of stations, runs and grazing farms with over 1,500 sheep and 300 cattle
- Local Government
- Harbours, Rivers and Ports
- Official – lists the federal representatives for each state, key Commonwealth Departmental officials and similar state representatives and officials for Queensland
- and hundreds of advertisements
Agnew S, 35 Charlotte st, Bris
Astley Chas E, Warwick
Branthwaite S, 113 Queen st, Bris
Clarke Wm H. 229 Adel st, Brisbane
Clarke Wm H, Mt Gravatt
Gasking J C, Jane st, Ch Towers
Gurre Carl. Fanny st, Annerley
Henry Mdm M, 33 Adel st, Bris
This directory contains hundreds of thousands of people, many with occupations and addresses and gives insight into second decade of life in 20th century Queensland.
This CD contains high quality scanned images of the original book, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.