This New South Wales Telephone Directory includes the city of Sydney and
metropolitan exchanges including: Woolloomooloo, Ashfield, Castle Hill, Hornsby,
Avalon Beach, Manly, Parramatta, Liverpool, Sutherland and many more. Directions
on how to make local and trunk calls including their costs are listed along with
much general but relevant information.
Also included is an index to the ‘Pink Pages’ and a Classified Telephone
Directory which contains a list of all business and professional subscribers,
classified under the headings of their 'respective callings'
Example entry taken from Emergency Telephone Calls, 1953, page 1:
FIRE-(For Fire Calls Only)-
City & Suburbs .. .. .. M 022
Headquarters .. .. .. BW 022
217 Castlereagh St.
Circular Quay .. .. ..BU 023
Darlinghurst .. .. .. FA 022
George St. West .. .. M 023
Paddington .. .. .. . FA 023
Fire on Ships (Brigades) .. M 022
(Fire Floats) at All Hours. B 0545
List of Fire Stations (see Alphabetical List under "F")
City .. .. .. .. .. B 030
Suburbs (see State Govt Depts Section)
Headquarters, Campsie LF 3188
Example entry taken from Sydney Telephone Directory Local Calls, 1953, page 2:
HOW TO CALL FROM AN AUTOMATIC (DIAL) TELEPHONE.
- Be sure you know the right number.
- Remove the receiver.
- Listen for the " dialling " tone-a continuous low-pitched burr-which signifies
that the line is clear and that dialling may be commenced. If the "dialling "
tone is not audible, or the " engaged " tone -an interrupted high-pitched
sound is heard, replace the receiver for a few seconds before trying again.
To a number prefixed by a capital letter or letters.
- Place your finger in the opening in the dial over the first letter of the
number which you are calling, and move the dial clockwise until you
strike the finger stop.
- Remove your finger from the opening and allow the dial to return unaided to
its normal position.
- Then dial the other letter (if any) and figures in the order shown in the number.
- When you hear a low-pitched burr-burr sound-the " ringing" tone - the called
telephone is ringing.