NOT YET PUBLISHED - Due May 2014
With version 8 Legacy Family Tree continues its tradition as one of the leading players in the genealogy software market with this new version. While keeping the same base format which current users of the program love, and improving on that with a number of new features. It is still an easy enough program to take home and get started straight away. While still having enough extra features for those who wish to explore it more.
TopTenREVIEWS has given Legacy 8 their Gold Star 10/10, and here's why. Every family is unique, and therefore different programs suit different people, with each offering options to help you map out your family tree. For example, if
you find multiple marriages, divorces, adoptions, you'll want software
that can account for each of these events. Legacy 8 wins our
TopTenREVIEWS Gold Award for its flexible mapping and features that
allow you to record a multitude of different types of relationships.
This genealogy software links directly to the popular genealogy site
Ancestry.com. We like this feature because it combines your research and
mapping in a few steps. Rather than digging through printed records,
you can research your family online and find more information on your
family line. After you've gathered family records and information, you
can choose from many chart types to display the different relationships
with this family tree software.
Legacy 8.0 is stuffed with helpful features for novice genealogists. The Origins Report shows where your family comes from and helpful mapping reports let you track where your ancestors settled through the years. The layout is clean and easy to navigate, so the interface doesn't get in the way of your work.
Experts will find that some of the sourcing and research features seem oversimplified.
The new release contains dozens of significant new features
and enhancements, including migration mapping, instant duplicate
checking, origins and migration reports, potential problem alerts, and
shared events. In this one software package, Legacy Family Tree 8 provides tools to help users record their family's history, organize
their pictures, perform their research, and share their findings.
Family Tree 8.0 continues to raise the bar of family history software,"
said David Berdan, president of Millennia Corporation. "Its new source
quality tool, source labels, citations on Pedigree Charts and shared
events give serious researchers the tools they need, while the new
reports, charts, and family statistics get the entire family excited
about their history."
The following new and updated features add to Legacy's list of robust capabilities:
- Origins Report - See where you came from and the percentage of "blood" you have from your countries of origin with the new Origins Report.
- Migration Report - See how far and wide a person's descendants spread out in the world with the new Migration Report.
- Migration Mapping - Legacy animates the
ancestor's movement through time. Watch how they migrated from place to
place. View their migration in street, aerial, or 3D modes. Hover over
the balloon to see what happened in each location.
- Instant Duplicate Checking - As you are adding
new individuals to your tree, Legacy instantly checks to see if perhaps
they are already in your family file, helping you avoid inadvertently
- Potential Problem Alerts and Gaps - Typos and
accidental misinterpretation of data are now a thing of the past. The
warning symbol is displayed immediately next to info that contains a
potential problem. Unusual gaps of time are detected that you may have
not previously noticed (like too many years between the births of the
- Shared Events - Save time and avoid errors by
sharing an event amongst all the individuals who participated in the
event. You can specify each person's role in the event.
- Family Bow Tie Chart - Displays the ancestors of both the husband and wife, as well as their children.
- Descendant Chart - Now available in left-to-right formatting.
- Source Quality - Now record the quality (original
vs derivative, primary vs secondary, etc., direct vs indirect) of each
source as you attempt to prove your conclusions.
- Source Labels - Now print Source Labels to attach
to the top of your documents. You will never again lose the citation
when making a photocopy for someone else.
- Source Clipboard - The Source Clipboard has been expanded to load up to five different citations that can be assigned at the click of a button.
- Pedigree Citations - Add source citations to your Pedigree Charts, and attach the complete bibliography.
- FamilySearch Integration - Share, discuss, download and interact with FamilySearch's Family Tree (optional).
- Wall Charts - Duplicate lines can now be suppressed, saving room for more photographs and captions.
- Chronology View - Now view the parent's, grandparent's, children's, and grandchildren's vital events in your ancestor's timeline.
- User Interface - Enjoy Legacy's modernized
look-and-feel, new color schemes, and new ribbon menu bar. Add two
additional custom buttons on the new My Toolbar.
- Tagging - View up to 9 tags at once. Advanced Tagging now shows the counts of each tag.
- Automatic Sorting - Children, marriages, and
events are now automatically chronologically sorted as they are added.
New global sorting tools are also now available.
- Statistics - Understand your family in new ways
with dozens of new statistics: births by era, longest living
individuals, average lifespan, longest marriages, families with the most
children, most popular given names, most popular surnames, most popular
locations and more.
- Media Relinker - It is easier than ever to locate missing or unlinked pictures. Moving from one computer to another is simpler to do.
- Media Gatherer - Got pictures all over your
computer? The new Media Gatherer will help you copy or move your
genealogy pictures to one common folder, making it easier to share your
family file with another computer or family member.
- Web Links - Found evidence of your ancestor
online? Easily add a web link to their media gallery to organize a list
of their online presence.
- Color Coding - You can now color code from two
starting points (one for you and one for your spouse, for example) and
track the eight great-grandparents' lines.
Legacy 8.0 helps you organize generations of family history. Features like the Origins Report and an array of charts help you visualize your family line and share your research.
- Windows XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8. (Legacy will run on newer Macs with Windows emulator software Parallel, Bootcamp or Fusion)
- Pentium class computer
- VGA or higher display
- Hard Disk with 55MB of available space
- CD-ROM drive
- 256MB RAM minimum
- Internet connection recommended
- Internet Explorer 7 if you want to use the Virtual Earth Mapping feature