This work includes copies of actual records (some worn, torn and faded) and
includes rough sketches of family coats of arms and notes from centuries past -
seldom found elsewhere. The resources provided here will help research any
family in the county, including old Irish families, and settler families from
England, Scotland, Wales and the continent. This book is a hands on guide for
finding your family in Donegal- some family history is included - but it is not
a gigantic collection of family histories. For that see 'The Book of Irish
Families Great and Small', and 'Families of County Donegal, Ireland' both
written by the same author.
'The Book of Irish Families Great and Small, gives hundreds of family histories
from County Donegal, and the surrounding areas. ' Genealogy and Family History
from County Donegal' expands upon that coverage with added families and new
resources just for Donegal. In this way both books can work together as a set if
desired, or they may be used independently for research.
The most numerous families in Donegal in the 19th century were:
- List of Books
- Barony Map of County Donegal
- Introduction to Sources; Birth Index
- National Resource List
- Local Resource List
- Families on the Map of the Four Masters
- Names from "Irish Families"
- Passengers From Donegal
- The Complete Existing returns from the 'census' of 1659, showing the
methods of spelling family and place names at that time
- Coats of Arms and Genealogical Notes
- Arms connected in some way to the county, as taken from the "Irish
Book of Arms"
- Finding Locations
- County Map
- Index of Place Names, Ancient and Modern