Finding your family in County Clare has just got easier. This
illustrated, well indexed book, was created exclusively to help you find your
family in County Clare, Ireland. Focusing specifically on families within the
county, it includes an introduction to research and sources in Clare. The most
numerous families from birth records are given, as well as rather rare Clare
families found in heraldic records. Included you will find a full page county
map from the Atlas of Ireland, along with a listing of modern parishes and old
townlands, and the address and location of records for more research.
This work includes copies of actual records (some worn, torn and faded), from
the Irish Genealogical Foundation Library. It also includes rough sketches of
family coats of arms and notes from centuries past - seldom found elsewhere. The
resources provided here will help research any family in the county, including
old Irish families, and settler families from England, Scotland, Wales and the
continent. This book is a hands on guide for finding your family in Clare- some
family history is included - but it is not a huge lot.
The most numerous families in Clare in the 19th century were:
- List of Books
- Barony Map of County Clare
- Introduction to Sources; Birth Index
- National Resource List
- Local Resource List
- Map of the Four Masters
- Families of the map of the Four Masters
- Names from "Irish Families"
- The Complete Existing returns from the 'census' of 1659, showing the
methods of spelling family and place names at that time
- Coats of Arms and Genealogical Notes
- Arms connected in some way to the county, as taken from the "Irish
Book of Arms"
- Finding Locations
- County Map
- Index of Place Names, ancient & modern. A sampling of place names to
assist the researcher