Michael Veitch has had a life-long obsession with the aircraft of the Second World War and the men that crewed them. Over the years his experience taught him that every one of these veterans has at least one extraordinary tale to tell of their wartime service - and usually many more.
He also knew that with most of the men now in their eighties, there was a real risk of these stories being lost forever. For Michael it was a matter of urgency to find them now, and encourage them to share their memories. So, over the course of a year, he interviewed more than fifty former aircrew across Australia, many of whom had never spoken about their experiences before, even to their families. The result is 'Flak' - a collection of vivid, unforgettable stories from RAAF and RAF veterans, and their recollections of combat in World War Two. It is also an account of the strange, sometimes obsessive journey of the author himself, as he explores a passion held since his childhood.
From bomber pilots to fighter aces, from rear gunners to bomb aimers, from stories of death and fear to tales of humour and comradeship, the author has helped record a fascinating and compelling collection of stories revealing ordinary men living and fighting in extraordinary times.
Contents: Review:Michael Veitch has done a fine job in getting those of use who were shot at a lot in the skies of World War II to talk about things we seldom discussed in great detail - anywhere ... Thank you, Michael, for illuminating so much about so many.
1. Gordon Dalton: Bomb-aimer
2. Dick Levy: Pilot, B-25 Mitchells
3. Allen Tyson: Air-gunner
4. Alec Hurse: Bomb-aimer
5. Les Smith: Air-gunner
6. Gerald McPherson: Air-gunner
7. Tom Hall: Pilot
8. Bruce Clifton: Pilot
9. John Trist: Bomb-aimer
10. George Gilbert: Spitfire pilot
11. Les Gordon: Air-gunner
12. Charles 'Bud' Tingwell: Photo reconnaissance pilot
13. Dick Thomas: Pilot
14. Derek French: Pilot
15. Pat Dwyer: Wireless/Air-gunner
16. Brian Walley: Pilot
17. Ken Fox: Spitfire pilot
18. John McCredie and Lewis Hall: Pilots (brothers-in-law)
19. Marcel Fakhry: Spitfire pilot
20. Trevor Trask: Pilot
21. Norman Robertson: Catalina pilot
22. Ron English: Navigator, Dakotas
23. Tom Trimble: Foghter pilot
24. Arch Dunne: Bomber pilot
25. Walter Eacott: Beaufighter pilot
- Charles 'Bud' Tingwell, Pilot, 680 Squadron RAF