If you've had Family Historian 4, and wish to update to Version 5, you can purchase the Upgrade. It requires an existing installation of version 4.x (an unlocked, full version).
Version 5 is a major update for Family Historian, as they've added a powerful new tool for creating great-looking books and booklets. And have
reworked and greatly improved the support for website generation and creating family tree CDs and DVDs.
Family Historian was already known as a world-leader for its charts - but
version 5 takes it further by added even more great charting functions. For
example, you'll find a new chart which graphically maps how two people are
"We've added a lot of new features but at the same time worked hard to
make the program look better, and be easier and nicer to use than ever."
Here's a listing of the major new and improved features in Version 5:
- New tool for creating family tree books and booklets
- Much improved website generation and support for family tree CDs and DVDs
- New Fan Chart diagrams
- New 'flat' style All-Relatives diagram (much-requested)
- Improved data entry - especially with regard to date-handling and date
- New query for detecting possible errors with dates in existing records
- Enhanced 'How Related' tool shows graphically exactly how people are related
- Improved, more comprehensive backup-and-restore
- Improved import and export, including direct import from other program
- All reports have enhanced performance and features, including optionally an
- Silhouettes can now be used in diagrams where required
- Much improved support for background pictures in diagrams
- Much faster diagram loading
- New reports, including a new 'how-related' report
- New tool for marking lines connecting individuals & branches in diagrams
- New 'shapes' toolbar for diagrams, including 'smart shapes' such as arrows
- Extensive new formatting options for diagrams
- Enhancements to the query capability for searching & analyzing records
- Support for plugins - a new way of extending the power of the program
- Integrated access to a new Plugin Store, with numerous free plugins adding
even more features - such as a new mapping tool - and more being added all the
- Numerous improvements to make the program even easier and more enjoyable to
- and so much more ...
"One feature that has already generated a lot of excitement, is version
5's built-in scripting tools. Many office products, and other kinds of
products, have scripting tools - why not genealogy products? Scripting tools
can be used to automate repetitive tasks, make extensive one-off changes that
would otherwise be prohibitively time-consuming, or even to create new kinds of
tools or new kinds of output. As one new version 5 user said yesterday: 'the
possibilities are now simply endless'.
"The scripting tools can even be used to create new plugins - that is,
new extensions to the program itself - which we can be shared with all users.
We have created a new Plugin Store, which we host on the web. At time of
writing, it already contains 33 plugins, supporting features like mapping using
Google Maps, a timeline tool, a 'possible problem' report, a 'data-cleaning'
tool to help with identity theft issues, an excellent 'search/replace' tool, and
many more. The number is growing all the time. They're all free, and as access
to the store is fully integrated into version 5, installing them is effortless.
"We believe that Family Historian is the only genealogy program to
support scripting tools, the only one to support a Plugin Store, and the only
one to support graphical relationship mapping. Just a few more items to add to
the list of features that are unique to Family Historian."
For full details and pictures of new features in version 5, please see What's New
For an overview of the program, take the tour - click here
Try out the progam yourself, by downloading the 30 day trial version - click here
To view the Plugin Store - click here
To browse the full list of plugins - click here
Getting the Most from Family Historian Manual (version 5)