The 'Dictionary of Australian Biography', by Percival Serle in 1949 includes 1030 concise biographies of Australians. These were men and women closely connected with Australia, and who died before the end of 1942.
The average length of each biography is about 640 words, and they can be roughly classified into the following twelve groups:
This CD contains high quality scanned images of the original books, and
has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed,
enlarged and printed out if required.
- Army and Navy
- Artists, including architects, actors, and musicians
- Governors and administrators
- Literary men and women
- Pioneers, explorers, pastoralists, men of business
- Scholars, philosophers, clergymen
- Scientists, including physicians, surgeons, and engineers
- Social reformers, philanthropists, educationists
- Sporting men (cricketers and athletes)